SummaryOur Collaborating States Initiative, modeled after a similar effort directed at school districts, was developed to help states create, implement, and share effective efforts. Participation grew rapidly from only a handful of state agencies in 2016 to 25 by 2018. Based on recommendations from a cross-section of local school leaders, this report begins to answer that question. It focuses on six specific steps states are taking:
How can state education agencies best help school districts and schools implement SEL effectively?
- Elevating districts’ SEL work
- Listening closely to multiple stakeholders
- Adopting SEL competencies/standards
- Supporting districts through guidance and communities of practice
- Aligning SEL with other key initiatives across the state
- Working together to build relationships and address common challenges