CASEL, the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning, www.casel.org
Last Revised: April 18, 2019
- Types of Information Collected
- How We Collect Information
- How We Use Information
- Communications with You
- Sharing Information with Third Parties
- Updating Your Information
- How We Respond to “Do Not Track” Signals
- Protection of Information
- Location of Site and Servers
- Links to Third-Party Websites
- Notice of Your California Privacy Rights
2. Types of Information Collected
We may collect personally identifiable information about you, such as non-public information that helps us identify and interact with you, including without limitation your name, telephone number, email address, employer name, mailing address, payment method information, account username and password, transaction history, donation amount, Activities (as defined below), and comments and inquiries (collectively, “Personal Information”).
We also may collect non-personally identifiable information, that is, information that does not personally identify you as the individual to whom the information relates, including without limitation information about your use of the Sites, the device from which you access the Sites, usage statistics, browsing, search and navigational history when visiting the Sites, content you access when on the Sites, general geographic location such as the city from which your computer or device is connecting to the Internet, webpages requested and visited, timestamps, sites you visit prior to and after visiting the Sites, type of operating system you use on your computer (e.g., Microsoft Windows or Mac OS) or other device (e.g., iOS or Android) to access a Site, the type of browser you use (e.g., Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari), the domain name of your internet service provider, and information regarding the demographics and interests of users of the Sites (collectively, “Non-Personal Information”). If any Non-Personal Information is used or shared in a manner that associates it with your name, contact information or other Personal Information, it will be treated as Personal Information.
3. How We Collect Information
We may collect Personal Information from you and about you during your online and offline interactions with CASEL and the Sites, such as when you:
- Visit, browse or search content on the Sites;
- Register an account on the Sites;
- Contact us by mail, telephone or email;
- Sign up to receive emails, alerts, announcements or newsletters;
- Place an order through the Sites or make a donation;
- Interact with CASEL personnel, whether in person, on the telephone or via email;
- Submit forms to CASEL digitally or offline; and
- Register, enroll or participate in any educational services provided by CASEL; surveys or questionnaires; promotions or sweepstakes; or any other services, events, programs, professional development courses, or other activities sponsored or offered by CASEL or third parties in connection with CASEL (collectively, “Activities”).
CASEL automatically receives and records Non-Personal Information on our server logs from your browser as well as through other analysis of the Sites.
We also may collect information using cookies, web beacons, pixels, gifs, tags, browser web storage, application data caches or similar technologies (collectively, “Cookies”) or through third parties using Cookies. A cookie is a piece of code stored on your computer or device. When you visit the Sites, your web browser may store Cookies on your computer or device, or your computer or device may be exposed to other Cookies which work independently or in together. Cookies better enable you to navigate the Sites upon an initial visit or return visit, and collect certain information about you. You may use the Sites even if you choose to reject or delete Cookies.
For further details, please see the ‘about Hotjar’ section of Hotjar’s support site.
CASEL also may acquire information about you from other sources (such as offline records or publicly available information), from third parties such as our business partners, Activities partners and sponsors, vendors, merchants and other third parties, or from inferences based upon the sites you visit, third party data, information you share on other sites, social media platforms and applications, or demographics derived from profiles or accounts that you create, to the extent permitted in their privacy policies.
4. How We Use Information
We may use the information we collect:
- For the purposes for which you provide the information;
- To process and respond to your orders, inquiries and requests;
- To alert you to new developments, special events and Activities, and to administer same;
- To personalize messages and send you announcements, newsletters and promotions;
- To monitor and analyze information regarding your browsing and viewing preferences and to diagnose problems with the Sites;
- To carry out internal operations and to analyze our users’ demographics and interests;
- For administration and improvement of Activities and the Sites
- To enhance the user experience and our products and services;
- To develop, deliver, and improve our services, content and promotion;
- To process orders and donations;
- To send important notices, such as communications about events and other transactions on the Sites and changes to our terms, conditions and policies;
- For fraud prevention, internal operations, legal compliance and other public and security related purposes; and
CASEL also may use information to present you with targeted content and promotions (including via email) based on your past visits to the Sites and Non-Personal Information collected over time by us and third parties. Such targeted content may include marketing for the Sites, our content and services, and the products and services of our business, research and marketing partners. We also may use information to analyze and develop advertisements and advertising campaigns, provide you with special offers and promotions and determine the effectiveness of same, optimize and determine the effectiveness of content and advertisements, analyze your interactions with the content and advertisements you are presented with, and how same relates to your visits to the Sites.
Our third party partners may participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising and allow consumers the ability to opt-out of targeted advertising based on web activity tracking. For more information regarding the foregoing, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/. Please note that even if you opt of targeted advertising based on web activity tracking, you still may receive standard advertisements from us and targeted advertisements from third parties after clicking the link and following the instructions provided therein. You may need to re-click the link and follow the instructions provided therein if you delete Cookies or use a different computer, device or browser.
5. Communications with You
By submitting Personal Information, you agree that we are authorized to send and you opt-in to receive email, text message, phone calls, direct mail and other communications to you to respond to your communications and to provide you with information about new developments, special events, and other Activities or services. If required by applicable law, we will seek your prior written consent before doing so. Unsubscribe instructions will be included in each promotional email from CASEL. Please note that unsubscribe requests may take up to ten (10) business days to become effective. You are solely responsible for any data, text or other charges that may be applied by your online service provider or wireless carrier. You may discontinue the receipt of future text messages by texting the word STOP to any text message you receive from CASEL. If you have questions about the text message or how to discontinue receiving text messages, text the word HELP to any text message you receive from CASEL. You may not opt out of receiving communications regarding your dealings with the Sites, transactions with CASEL or technical information about the Sites.
6. Sharing Information with Third Parties
CASEL will not disclose Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
The Sites also may contain plugins for social media websites, such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Google+. We recommend reviewing the privacy policies with respect to the plugins for each of these websites, prior to clicking on such plugins.
7. Updating Your Information
You are responsible for keeping your information current. You may update your information by contacting us at email@example.com. We will use reasonable efforts to process any change you make; but requests to delete information are subject to CASEL’s internal reporting, processing and retention policies and all applicable legal obligations.
8. How We Respond to “Do Not Track” Signals
The Sites are directed to persons 18 years of age or older. CASEL and the Sites do not knowingly collect information from children under age 18. If you under age 13, you are not permitted to use the Sites or to submit any Personal Information to the Sites. If you are 13-17 years of age, you may visit, browse and use the information on the Sites, but you may not submit any Personal Information to the Sites, and you represent and warrant to CASEL that you have permission of your parent or guardian to use the Sites. If you provide Personal Information to the Sites, you represent and warrant to CASEL that you are 18 years of age or older. If we become aware that a user is under age 18 and has provided Personal Information, we will remove the Personal Information from our files. If you are a parent or guardian and believe CASEL may have inadvertently collected personal information from your child, please notify CASEL immediately by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Protection of Information
CASEL uses reasonable administrative, physical and electronic security measures to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of your Personal Information. No transmission of data over the internet or text message is guaranteed to be completely secure. It may be possible for third parties not under the control of CASEL to intercept or access these transmissions or private communications unlawfully. While we strive to protect your Personal Information, neither CASEL nor any of our service providers can ensure security of any information. Any such transmission of information to CASEL is at your own risk.
11. Location of Site and Servers
CASEL is based in the United States and applies the laws of the United States in its privacy practices. If you access or use the Sites from a location outside the United States, you do so at your own risk. CASEL reserves the right to process or store Personal Information within or outside the United States.
12. Links to Third-Party Websites
13. Notice of Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you may be entitled by law to request certain information regarding any disclosure by CASEL to third parties of Personal Information for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. However, CASEL has adopted a policy of not sharing your personally identifiable information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes if you request that your information is not shared. See Section 7, Updating Your Information.