What specific steps can states take to support effective implementation of systemic SEL at the local level?
Our Collaborating States Initiative (CSI), modeled after a similar effort involving school districts, was developed to help states create, implement, and share effective efforts. Participation grew rapidly from only a handful of state agencies in 2016 to 25 by 2018.
- Delaware, with grassroots teacher support, is developing grade-level SEL competencies/standards.
- Iowa and North Dakota are building on existing structures and processes to advance SEL implementation.
- Minnesota, after an extensive process to adopt SEL competencies/standards and guidance, is piloting those resources to learn how to best support broad and sustainable implementation.
- Rhode Island is helping local practitioners share information on what schools and districts are doing to implement and teach SEL skills.
- Wisconsin is using multiple channels to align SEL with many other related initiatives and priorities already in place, from character education to digital literacy.