Our mission is ambitious: to help make evidence-based social and emotional learning (SEL) an integral part of education from preschool through high school.
As a thought leader, field builder, and advocate, CASEL uniquely spans three worlds:
Research to build the evidence base by developing, synthesizing, and disseminating evidence that documents the impact of social and emotional learning.
Practice demonstrates what is possible in classrooms, schools, and communities that prioritize SEL — including our work with partner districts. Our work focuses on implementing, refining, and demonstrating high-quality SEL in school districts, and creating scalable tools and resources (visit our SEL District Resource Center to learn more);
Policy helps pave the way for SEL practices that are scalable and sustainable, setting a new standard for high-quality education in the United States. Through state and federal policy efforts, CASEL is helping create the conditions for success.
Our 2016-2018 Strategic Plan lays out a blueprint for reaching these goals. How do we now transform this momentum into a movement? CASEL’s three-year strategic plan answers that question through six strategies:
- Partner with the Aspen Institute and dozens of leaders in the field to help launch a National Commission on Social, Emotional, and Academic Development.
- Develop practical, actionable guidance for assessing social and emotional knowledge, skills, and behaviors. By convening leading practitioners and researchers in an Assessment Work Group.
- Document and share practical lessons from the field through our Partner Districtsto document outcomes and develop models and resources for schools and districts nationwide.
- Leverage evidence, models, and resources to enhance communications and share what we know more broadly to support SEL nationwide.
- Support the development of state SEL student learning and implementation guidelines through the efforts of the Collaborating States Initiative.
- Increase Federal Supports for SEL Research and Practice to help the field and our collaborators continue to document and share what works.
Across research, practice, and policy, collaboration is at the root of what we do and how we do it. Through collaboration, CASEL leverages collective expertise and experiences to achieve ambitious goals and maximize impact for students.