The urgency for social and emotional learning (SEL) has never been greater as educators navigate complex challenges that emerged from this unprecedented year.
To accelerate SEL in school communities nationwide, CASEL leads an annual SEL Fellows Academy, a first-of-its-kind virtual leadership academy to grow and strengthen SEL practices in community with others.
For the inaugural 2021 Allstate Foundation Cohort, we welcomed 31 school district and regional leaders from 17 states and that collectively served more than 1.6 million students.
Interested in Applying?Back to top
What is the SEL Fellows Academy?Back to top
For over a decade, CASEL has been in research-practice partnerships with large, urban school districts nationwide to study and scale high-quality SEL. The 10-month, virtual SEL Fellows Academy builds on this success to offer a unique opportunity for rural, suburban, and urban communities to strengthen their SEL expertise in community with one another.
Our model combines professional learning with a community of practice to advance SEL toward equity and excellence in all schools. Annually, a cohort of up to 50 SEL leaders will be selected to participate and deepen their SEL practice at a personal, interpersonal, and institutional level. Learn more.
What do we look for in an SEL Fellow?Back to top
The SEL Fellows Academy is for those employed by a school district or regional office of education in the United States. SEL Fellows are passionate about SEL, dedicated to their own discovery and development, and responsible for leading SEL in their community.
What are the key components?Back to top
Each cohort of up to 50 district or regional SEL leaders participate in a 10-month program August 2022–June 2023, engaging in workshops, mentorship, coaching consultancies, and more.
The SEL Fellows experience is designed to embody the principles of SEL, weaving together the theory and the practice. You will build your knowledge of SEL theory and practice, adult SEL, SEL for students, and continuous improvement to enhance the work that is most relevant to you.
Your time with us will include three dedicated hours per month for community gatherings:
- Cohort Learning Community: Nine full group workshops (One/month). The sessions will focus on your own SEL leadership development and dive deep into the CASEL framework for implementation. This will include opportunities to connect with the cohort, with district and regional leaders from across the country, as well as national leaders on areas of interest in the SEL field.
- Peer Inquiry Circles: Five small-group coaching consultancies (every other month) where you will engage with other Fellows and a CASEL facilitator to tackle the unique dilemmas and opportunities of leading SEL across your organization.
You will have opportunities for collaboration and connection with others:
- Journey Trios: Monthly collaboration with a group of three SEL Fellows who share a common goal, district structure, and/or interests. Collaboration with Journey Trios allows for honest conversations to enhance peer learning that will move your practices forward. These connections can occur whenever convenient and are a key source of sustenance and inspiration for our Fellows.
- CASEL Mentor: Two one-on-one mentor consultations with an SEL expert from the CASEL community. In the past, mentors have been CASEL leadership members, school district leaders, or national experts in research and practice.
- Expert Guidance: Ongoing access to a team of CASEL experts and high-quality resources to support your ongoing work on SEL implementation.
- Learning Hub platform: A digital community platform is offered exclusively to SEL Fellows to connect with the cohort and CASEL. It includes curated resources, discussion boards, and recordings and is updated regularly in response to questions and conversations among fellows.
You can experience ongoing connection and support:
- Superintendent Engagement: Opportunities for Fellows’ superintendents to connect via a superintendent roundtable and to attend the capstone project presentations with a small group of SEL Fellows.
- Alumni network. All SEL Fellows become part of a CASEL alumni community who have the opportunity to connect quarterly via speaker series and themed discussion groups, as well as an online hub to share what they are working on and get support. You will get to know our wonderful inaugural cohort of Fellows, as well as those who will follow you.