- As the Collaborating States Initiative (CSI) has evolved since 2016, participating state education agencies, CASEL and other national organizations have developed a wide variety of materials and resources to promote SEL in their states.
The index below provides links to numerous resources. They include a variety of tools and reports from CASEL and other national organizations, as well as many examples from states themselves. Our resources are organized by the four focal areas in the emerging state theory of action, which is aligned to CASEL’s district and school theories of action: planning, adult SEL, student SEL, and continuous improvement. Each focal area is further divided into specific tasks. States can use these tools to:
- Inform their own work.
- Learn how their peers are addressing similar issues.
- Customize many of these materials for their own use.
BUILD FOUNDATIONAL SUPPORT AND PLAN
- Frameworks, competencies, standards, and guidelines for SEL
- Development of a vision, strategic plan, and stakeholder engagement and communications
- Federal policy and funding support
STRENGTHEN ADULT COMPETENCIES AND CAPACITY
- Guidance to create positive school cultures and climates
- Equity considerations to ensure that educational experiences are culturally and linguistically appropriate and engaging to all
- Implementation guidance on professional development strategies to ensure that educators are equipped to successfully implement SEL
PROMOTE SEL FOR STUDENTS
- Integration and alignment of SEL with academics and instruction
- Guidance on teacher practices to support student social and emotional development
- Guidance to support high-quality implementation of SEL
- Implementation guidance on evidence-based programs
The CSI has created several tools and briefs to help states get started in developing standards, policies, programs, and communities of learning among districts to support implementation of quality SEL.
Key Features of High-Quality Policies and Guidelines
Recommended Process for Developing State Policies and Guidelines
A Process for Developing and Articulating Learning Goals
Emerging Insights (2018)
Innovation in Action (2018)
Deeper Insights (2018)
Strategic Plan Examples (2018)
District Recommendations to States (2018)USE DATA FOR CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT
- Implementation guidance on assessment tools that allow teachers to effectively monitor their students’ progress
The Collaborating States Initiative is supported by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and Pure Edge, Inc. The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of the funders.