- A key to promoting effective districtwide and schoolwide SEL is ensuring that all staff members have initial and ongoing professional learning and support for implementing evidence-based SEL practices and programs. States can provide leadership and resources for professional learning by establishing statewide professional learning networks, creating and linking districts with professional learning resources, and creating professional learning communities focused on specific SEL topics and issues. Central to effective professional learning for SEL is the need to promote adult SEL skills and competencies.
New! SEL Professional Learning Modules
In collaboration with AIR, CASEL adapted the Washington State professional learning module to develop guidance for states interested in developing a high-quality professional learning system. The modules cover five topics:
- Introduction to SEL — including the research that informs effective SEL practices
- Embedding SEL Schoolwide – how educators can support and embed SEL throughout the school
- Creating a Professional Culture Based on SEL — adult social and emotional development in schools
- Integrating SEL Into a Culturally Responsive Classroom — instructional practices to integrate SEL through daily instruction
- Identifying and Selecting Evidence-Based SEL Programs — strategies to select evidence-based SEL programs
Links to Other Resources
Frameworks & Competencies
Vision & Communications
Policy & Funding
Culture & Climate
Feel free to download, customize, and use with attribution, e.g., “Developed by Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning and used with permission.”
Personal Assessment and Reflection—SEL Competencies for School Leaders, Staff, and Adults
Offers structured reflection for all professionals to help strengthen their SEL abilities.
To Reach the Students, Teach the Teachers
Report of a national scan of SEL alignment in state-level teacher certification requirements and teacher preparation programs in colleges of education in the U.S.
Massachusetts Guidelines for the Professional Standards for Teachers
Outlines the pedagogical skills and knowledge needed for all teachers in the state. Explore these guidelines to see how a state approaches the challenge of integrating SEL into professional standards for teachers.
Minnesota Social Emotional Learning District Implementation and Professional Development Guidance
Provides districts with a flexible framework for including SEL in professional learning for all district and school affiliates.Tennessee: Social and Personal Competencies Module Facilitator Guide
Provides step-by step instructions for a facilitator to introduce administrators and teachers to Tennessee’s SEL professional learning modules. Useful in knowing how facilitators can guide groups through professional learning activities.Washington: SEL Online Education Module
Provides direct training on SEL for individuals or groups. After a free registration, anyone can view the module online. Rich with interactive activities and discussion points, especially effective when completed in groups.