El Paso Independent School District joined as a CASEL partner in July 2016.
SEL in Action
SEL implementation began in the EPISD during the 2016-2017 school year. It includes:
- 7 EPISD Lead Site Schools.
- Approximately 3,600 (2,598) students have been positively impacted by the SEL implementation.
- Approximately 400 (389) EPISD staff members are dedicated to the implementation.
EPISD implemented PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) in two cohorts during the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 school years, creating a foundation for positive school climates. The district plans to implement SEL in all schools by 2020.
Social Emotional Learning Mid-Year (2016-17) Highlights
- Cohort 1 schools report receiving excellent training during their capacity-building.
- Four schools in Cohort 1 saw mid-year attendance gains.
- Four schools in Cohort 1 saw a mid-year reduction in discipline problems.
- Participation in the National Gallup Poll showed that all Cohort 1 schools rated high on “The adults at my school care about me,” an indication that students are perceiving the changes brought about by social and emotional learning.
- SEL implementation measures reveal that school staff have observed a strong shift toward SEL integration at their campuses.